Friday, April 17, 2009

Chair Launch Party

Ha.  "Chair Launch Party."  They have those???

Yes, yes they do!  And they serve wine at them!

I'm not entirely sure if this kind of an event is unique to modern designers, but, apparently, modern companies hold launch parties for new items.  I'd never been to one before, but this one seemed to be fairly open-to-the-public, so maybe it's just a case of knowing it's happening?

Anyways, M3, M1 and I headed down to the Kartell store a couple of weeks ago.  (A store which you could somewhat often find M3 and myself with our faces smooshed against the window on our walk home after some bars...)  Kartell manufacturers lots of items, almost all (if not all) made of plastic...  Actually, the company was founded as a plastics producer (chemistry!,) only later moving into furniture.  They were launching the Papyrus Chair:
I'm not a huge fan (it reminds me of the '70s,) but I love being around modern stuff.  (The brothers who designed this chair did actually design one of my favourite sofas: The Alcove.)

After going in and having our names checked off of the guest list, we grabbed some Proseco, and began to wander around the store...  At which point the photographer they hired for the event began following us around, as evidenced here.  M3 and I knew a fair amount about the furniture, but it's always fun to touch the pieces!  And be reminded of what more you want...  And this...  And this...  And this...  And this...  (JK on the last one!)

Kartell apparently has begun making jelly shoes, which was new to me.  Not entirely sure how I feel about these, but if you're going to wear jelly shoes, they may as well be made by Kartell!

In the end, it was a funny night...  Walking around, drinking, and trying to pretend that I fit in with the crowd that showed up.  Other than the free drinks and some good chats with friends, I did leave with my new favourite picture of myself:
... Never mind the retro chair...

No comments:

Post a Comment