Monday, March 9, 2009

Quick Quick Quick Food Blog!

Mainly, I just need to spread the recipe as far and wide as possible.  To, you know, the maybe five people who read my blog.  And I got it from one of them, so that's four...

It's been pretty quiet on the food front.  M1 didn't get a chance to cook last week, and M3 was away for the weekend, so all I have to write about is the meal I made last Tuesday: Salad and Mulligatawny Soup with homemade croutons!  The salad consisted of spinach (current leaf of choice,) pears, strawberries, almonds and pecans.  I altered the soup recipe to my tastes (two apples, half an onion, bit more curry,) and it was delicious.  (Great suggestion, Kelly.  I'd gladly accept any others you have!)  At the suggestion of the soup recipe, I decided to try homemade croutons.

People, homemade croutons are easy!  It's something I never thought of making before, so I was a bit questioning when I read this suggestion.  But they are so easy and SO good.  (Probably not SO healthy, but, please, I ate a salad and a vegetable-packed soup.)  I kind of combined this recipe from a few (I think, can't remember,) so I'm just going to write it out:

Homemade Garlicy Croutons
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Melt some butter (~1/4 c) on stove.  Saute some minced garlic in there, just till you can really smell the garlic.
3. Add more spices.  I'd suggest salt, pepper, oregano, maybe a bit of paprika...
4. Toss with bread cubes (~3/4" square, but I love a variety of shapes and sizes.)
5. Bake on cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes, till slightly brown.
6. [I forgot to do this, but I read somewhere to sprinkle parmesan cheese over the croutons when they're 2-3 minutes from done.  Sounded fabulous.]
7. Let cool, and enjoy!  (I made these a day ahead of time to let them get a little more of that delicious stale-bread greatness that croutons should have.)

A million times better than those crumbly, boxed croutons...  And, I mean, I always end up with stale bread anyways...

No comments:

Post a Comment