Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dog People v. Not Dog People

So, there is someone that comes over to my apartment fairly regularly. She / he comes in every time and immediately comments on how "smelly" Code is. Let's get something straight from the start, here. Cody smells like... a dog. For those of you unfamiliar, Cody is, in fact, a dog.

So, this person immediately complains that Code smells. Finally, yesterday, I yelled. "Don't come over if you think he smells!" "He smells like a dog!"

I know, possibly he / she was kidding and "bonding" with my dog. But, frankly, I was tired of hearing her / him say that my dog smelled. Hence the counter.

And then I felt a bit bad. Perhaps I wasn't being the best welcome committee...

And it got me thinking.

And I realized... (I think) This person simply isn't a dog person! She / he pretends to know a lot about dogs, but, frankly, she / he doesn't really seem to like dogs. This theory is supported by a recent comment. She / he recently met a "teacup Yorkie" (read: ridiculously miniscule dog,) and if she / he were to ever have an "indoor dog," it would be one of those:


(Can you feel me scoffing slightly?)

While this seems crazy to me, I can't help but understand it. I, myself, dislike many types of cheese, and I know this seems equally offensive to some! So, I can do nothing but respect this. Assuming, of course, that this person shut up about my dog "smelling."

I've grown to hear that people are either dog people or cat people. I don't think this is the case. It's got to be more something like you're either a dog person or you're not and you're either a cat person or you're not. This visitor may find dogs in her / his life that she / he may like, maybe even love, but she / he will never have the instant playfulness with dogs that I enjoy so much. And, she / he will probably never proactively go out to get a dog. I pity that she / he may never have that unconditional love thing. Dogs are so great for that.

Basically, this realization (no matter that it was based off of little research and my own personal opinions) reminded me that people differ and that my opinions may not spread to everyone. (Though, you know, the world may be a better place if that were the case.) As long as this person is nice enough to Code and survives me every time she / he says that Code smells, all will be okay.

I wish I had time to look up the theories and studies that have been done on this. (There must be some.) As it stands, though, it's time to begin thinking about reading and bed.

Seriously, though, check this guy out! What's not to love???

2 comments:

  1. Did you really confront the 'cody smells' person? good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Yelled a bit... I believe I've only seen this person once since yelling, don't think Code was called smelly then, so maybe it worked (?)

    ReplyDelete