Thursday, January 8, 2009

"This is 'Top Chef,' Not 'Top Scallop'!"

If you've met me, you know that I love reality television.  (I currently have the new season of "The Real World" on in the background.)  However, "Top Chef" is my current love.

My obsession with food reality television is a new one.  Partly due to the lack of cable television through most of my life.  Now, though?  Between "Top Chef" (favourite = Jamie... and Radhika,) "Ace of Cakes" (love Geoff,) "Ultimate Recipe Showdown," "Amazing Wedding Cakes" and "Iron Chef" (where I always root for Michael Symon,) it's a wonder I'm not a better chef...  Also, I'm constantly amazed by my intrigue in these shows - it's not like I get to try the food!

That being said, I occasionally come away with some good tips / tricks / hints.  While watching "Ultimate Recipe Showdown: Cakes," the winning "birthday cake" has turned into a true winner in my life.  I bring you, courtesy of Doreen Howarth, the Put-the-Lime-in-the-Coconut Cake!  (Slight changes: I used coconut extract instead of coconut oil.  Also, I used an additional 0.5 c butter instead of shortening for the icing.)  It's always awesome to see something being made on television and actually being able to execute it yourself!  I made this for S's birthday yesterday:
The coconut is green because it's grass, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment